Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:07:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert <robert@namodn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kensington PS/2 mouse-in-a-box

Hello.

I have a Kensington PS/2 "Mouse-in-a-box" with a wheel/roller for a middle
button. I know it does not work with X as of yet, and I am going to
replace it with a Logitech for that reason, but I need to use it in the
meantime to develop Java applets, which means I must use X.

The problem is that the mouse behaves erratically under X, sometimes
jumping to different areas of the screen and acting as if I had pressed
one or both buttons. moused exhibits similar symptoms, and it also move
about slowly.
In moused I get errors on the console, "/kernel: psmintr: out of sync
(00c8 != 0008)." and "/kernel: psmintr: out of sync (0000 != 0008)." as I
move the mouse around.

I have ps/2 to serial adaptors, one of which I will try right now. Any
suggestions are more than welcome ;)

(BTW, I verified the physical well-being of the mouse under Linux to make
sure it had not gone south on me)

			www.ArtWritingMusic.com
			      robert@namodn.com