Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 15:14:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wes@intele.net (Wes Peters)
Subject:   Adaptec 2842 vs. 1520

I finally purchased the AHA 2842 VLBus SCSI adapter for my 486
FreeBSD system last week.  I had the whole week off anyhow; my baby
girl was being born.  (Add Bailey Joanna Peters to the user's list,
age 0.02 years.  ;^)

I experienced several lockups during periods of disuse with the
2842, replacing the 1520 prevented the lockups.  I've heard that
updating to -stable or -current will solve this problem.  True?

In order to benchmark the performance, I decided to build an identical
kernel using my 1520 and the 2842.  The kernel build times were nearly
identical.  I should interpret this data as:

1- Both host adapters can max out my (14 ms) SCSI disk, but the
2842 will give me lower overall system load; I've spent my money
wisely.

2- The 2842 is no faster than the 1520; I've just wasted $250.

3- Something else that hasn't penetrated the fatigue poinsons
building up in my brain.  ;^)

I believe the answer should be #1.  Feedback?

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder