Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:01:26 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        Christopher Michaels - SSG <ChrisMic@sbservices.com>, "'Donald R. Tyson'" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>, "'Jeff Ehrenkrantz'" <admin@gccomm.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD friendly ISP?

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999, Christopher Michaels - SSG
<ChrisMic@sbservices.com> wrote:

>I was trying to use Bell Atlantic in my area for local access and am unable
>to get it to connect.  May I ask what your ppp.conf for bell atlantic looks
>like (sans passwords of course)?

    I was quite happy with Heller Information Systems (his.com) when I
lived in Northern Virginia.  I don't know if you're in that service area
(they serve only the 703, 202, and 301 area codes), but even though I am
now over in Belgium, my virtual domain continues to be hosted with them.

    For a while, they were also the home of the dc.sage local affiliate
of the Systems Administrators Guild (until such time as we put enough
money together to get our own machine, and we wanted to have it in a
location where we could physically lay hands on it).  If a group of
fairly picky (and quite anarchistic ;-) system administrators can put up
with an ISP for any length of time, they have to be at least fairly decent.

    If you're in the New York area, I would recommend Panix.  I know
several rather clueful people who continue to be Panix customers, and
they appear to be at least reasonably happy.

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
    <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;