Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 2019 09:27:01 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to set PWM tunable name to ehrpwm.1 ?

On Fri, 2019-06-07 at 09:17 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 9:11 AM Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 08:58:49 -0600
> > Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > > The dev.* hierarchy is managed by newbus; what I was picturing
> > > was
> > > something like hw.ehrpwm1.freq and so on, settable as either
> > > tunable or
> > > sysctl.  But it turns out ehrpwm1 is just a label in the dts, not
> > > accessible at runtime.  The actual node name is just 'pwm' and
> > > really,
> > > nothing prevents upstream from changing that name on a whim next
> > > time
> > > we import new dts files.  (And linux sure seems to have a lot of
> > > arbitrary whims when it comes to changing dts.)
> >
> >  Relying on the name is clearly not a good idea, especially for TI
> > since they change stuff A LOT.
> >
> > > Since an overlay is required to use this stuff anyway, I'm now
> > > thinking
> > > a custom property in the overlay that names the sysctl nodes
> > > might be a
> > > good option.  So you'd add a property like:
> > >
> > >    &ehrpwm0 {
> > >        status = "okay";
> > >        pinctrl-names = "default";
> > >        pinctrl-0 = <&ehrpwm0_AB_pins>;
> > >        freebsd,sysctl = "backlight";
> > >    };
> > >
> > > And that would make it install names like hw.backlight.freq and
> > > hw.backlight.period and so on.  If you don't add that property,
> > > it just
> > > installs the names it uses now (dev.ehrpwm.*) for compatibility.
> > >
> > > -- Ian
> >
> >  What would be better is to add support to the pwm(9) api for this
> > driver and make the api and pwm(8) using the "pwm-names" property which
> > is a standard one from the bindings.
> >

> For this specific case, I think that's great. I'd go farther than say we
> should have the FDT/OFW node name, if any, associated with something like
> dev.<dev>.<unit>.node_name.

You mean something like this?  :)

dev.imx6_anatop.0.%pnpinfo: name=anatop@20c8000 compat=fsl,imx6q-anatop

That works great if you already know the newbus name and unit and want
to relate it back to fdt.  What we don't have is a way to get back to
the dev.<driver>.<unit>.* oids if all you know is the fdt node name.
Something like

  hw.fdt.xref.<nodename>=<nameunit>

But I suspect the character set for oid names is more constrained than
that of fdt node names.  At least, I've never seen a sysctl name with
an '@' in it before.

-- Ian