Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:20:55 -0600
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>, "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Software for building an 802.11ac AP?

On Dec 21, 2013, at 1:07 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>=20
> Well, there's a bunch of updated intel hardware with mini-pcie slots.
> I think pcengines just did a hardware refresh, for example?

It=92s not done yet.  =91beta=92 boards for the PC Engines =93APU=94 =
platform (http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm) are out, (we have one) but =
nobody has volume yet,
and nobody *really* knows when volume might be available.   My best =
guess is March 2013, plus or minus a month.

There are other platforms (based on Intel=92s Avocet/Rangeley C2K core) =
which should be out in similar timeframes.

> We should put together a list of those and then make sure -HEAD at =
least works on them.

The coming 2.2 version of pfSense is based on FreeBSD 10.   It=92s =
limping now, and should be available about the same
timeframe as the APU and other boards (above).  I don=92t think we=92ve =
completed the integration for 802.11n, but I don=92t anticipate a
lot of trouble, either.

Getting from 10-RELASE to -HEAD shouldn=92t represent too large a jump.  =
(Famous last words.)

> That's a good starting point.
>=20
> After that - the problem is a lack of 11ac drivers and framework
> support in FreeBSD. It'll come, but ENOTIME at the moment.

this is the largest issue, I think.