Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:06:57 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        "Ugo Bellavance" <iolubik@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device

There might be another possibility...  I ran into a problem once where
Solaris would only allow me to use ATA33 on a Sis controller because
the controller driver was unstable at ATA66 in solaris.  Perhaps its
down clocking so to speak.

I also had a problem with a promise pci ide controller card in Windows
once (UDMA100) where the card would not run in UDMA mode at all.   It
worked and then one day stopped.  I tried new cables, different hard
drives, etc.  Finally the card failed.  It was defective.  Since then I
don't buy promise controllers when I can help it.

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)