Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:38:44 -0500
From:      Jon Keating <jon@licq.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        tmm@FreeBSD.org, Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org, trustedbsd-discuss@TrustedBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suser security

Robert-

Now it's my time to be sorry for the delay.  Being sick when a lot of school
projects and stuff going on at work really makes me just wanna go straight to
bed as soon as I get home.  After 8 weeks of being sick, I think I'm better;
no sore throat today.

I have a simple question about POSIX.1e  I saw the link to download the
withdrawn draft.  Is there actually a standard from IEEE that was accepted
regarding this?

[snip]

>    I suspect that Thomas has caught most of the remaining uid calls,
>    but once he publishes the next version of the capability patch, we'd
>    welcome your work on it to catch remaining instances, and to comment
>    on correctness.

I'm assuming this will be posted on the TrustedBSD mailing list, correct?

>    Andrew Reiter has been preparing an auditing subsystem requirements
>    document, as well as descriptions of implementations on other platforms
>    so that we can go through a more informed design process.  Having
>    partially implemented auditing on FreeBSD twice in the past, I can
>    comment both on the complexity of correct implemetation, and the need
>    to be sensitive to issues of simplicity, maintainability, and
>    performance.  Taking a fairly deep look into other implementations will
>    be important to developing an audit implementation that can be accepted
>    by the FreeBSD community.  This is certainly an area where both your
>    contributions in the form of ideas and implementation would be most
>    welcome.

Yes, I would be very interesting in assisting with this as soon as the
framework is set up to build upon.  Do you know of any time-frame on this
though?  Summer is coming up in a few weeks for me and I wanted to get going
on a personal project and working on FreeBSD, but TrustedBSD seems to be the
area that I should focus on by reviewing the documentation I've seen about
it.  I look forward to contributing to this, and would enjoy starting on
anything that you guys need help with.  Well, starting in two weeks from now.
 Just let me know how I can contribute most effectively at this moment.

Jon