Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:30:03 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, mobile@freebsd.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 a severe disappointment

> In message <200003230234.SAA04020@kithrup.com> Sean Eric Fagan writes:
> : 		IRQs:  IOCK 1 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 14
>
> These are just a hint to the bios...
>
> : I am, once again, trying irq 11, and "-i 11" for pccardd. (I've now rebooted,
> : because, unlike 2.2.8, pccardd won't recognize my removing the card from the
> : machine.)  No go;it's now stalled in exactly the same place on an 'scp -r'.
> : (That, incidently, makes me wonder if it's an IRQ problem, or something else.
> : I can log into it over the net, ping it, ping _out_ from it, and it still
> : lives.  But for getting my data back over, the machine is dead.  No, actually,
> : if I kill it and start it again, it goes further.  But then still dies.)
>
> Does 2.2.8 report the resources that it used for the pcic management
> irq and the pccard irq?  The defaults are sufficiently vague and this
> is a highly tweakable area, in need of vast improvement if you ask me,
> so it may be you lost information needed to make your machine run.

Indeed.  FWIW, a friends laptop has a strange allergy to irq 10....
*any* pccard that's given irq 10 will just not work (modem's one
character behind etc), as if the controller itself couldn't handle
it.  In fact, if you give the controller irq 10, nothing works !

Might it be the case that the IRQs reported as supported by the card
*are* really supported, but that controllers have limited IRQ support
too ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>