Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:59:01 -0400
From:      "Jason Portwood" <jason@iac.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Caleb Land" <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 and the G400

> That's OK, since the drivers are in an OS-independent format.  You can
> pick them up from
> ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2000/beta/.  I've just done
> so, and I may be in a position to report on them by tomorrow.  I'm
> planning a 3 monitor configuration with a G400 and a Millennium II
> (PCI).

I managed to get it working .  I also used the Linux driver without a
problem - happy about that.  This wouldn't
work for me without it.

Going over what I did...  Just briefly the parts of the XF86Config.

I made two device sections (ID Maxtrox_1 and Maxtrox_2 with screen 0 and 1)
one thing
mentioned on the man page is that video cards with two or more built in one
card need to define
the screen.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Matrox_1"
Driver "mga"
VideoRam 32178
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 0
EndSection

Probably a few more tweaks could go in their.

Then in the Screen section just make one Screen for Device Matrox_1 and one
for Matrox_2
Identifier "Screen 2"
Device "Matrox_2"

Then in the Layout.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier  "Simple Layout"
Screen "Screen 1"
Screen "Screen 2" RightOf "Screen 1"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Defining the second screen is something the examples I found of working dual
G400 configs seemed to miss.  Luckily
the man page for XF86Config covers it right at the end.

startx +xinerama (and use a window manager that can handle multi-displays of
course).

---
Jason
---