Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:34:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      jkoshy@FreeBSD.org (Joseph Koshy)
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/48574: Wrong path for TCL_SRC_DIR in tcl8.3 pre-built package

>Number:         48574
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       tclConfig.sh has a nonexistent path for TCL_SRC_DIR
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD orthanc 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #1: Mon Feb 3 17:52:36
IST 2003 root@:/home/obj-stable/usr/src/sys/ORTHANC i386

Tcl8.3 installed from the pre-built package distributed with the
4.7 CD set.  Tk8.3 installed similarly.

/usr/local/lib/tcl8.3/tclConfig.sh is a shell script that records
configuration information about the Tcl build.  Since our packages
are built on the ports build cluster, file names recorded in the
tclConfig.sh script that gets installed under $LOCALBASE are very
likely to be invalid on a users machine.  The corresponding file
for the Tk toolkit, "tkConfig.sh" has a similar problem.

Any package that uses the paths recorded in these config scripts
consequently fails to build and run.

>How-To-Repeat:

(nemesis) $ cd /usr/local/lib/tcl8.3
(nemesis) $ grep /tmp/a tclConfig.sh
TCL_BUILD_LIB_SPEC='-L/tmp/a/ports/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.4/unix
-ltcl83${TCL_DBGX}'
TCL_SRC_DIR='/tmp/a/ports/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.4'
TCL_BUILD_STUB_LIB_SPEC='-L/tmp/a/ports/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.4/unix
-ltclstub83${TCL_DBGX}'
TCL_BUILD_STUB_LIB_PATH='/tmp/a/ports/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.4/unix/libtclstub8
3${TCL_DBGX}.a'

>Fix:

The contents of these files should be edited to make these paths relative
to $PORTSDIR, at package install time.   A port that needs to access the
Tcl source tree will then work when BUILD_DEPENDS line like the
following is specified.

BUILD_DEPENDS=${PORTSDIR}/lang/tcl83/work/tcl8.3.5/README:${PORTSDIR}/lang/tcl8
3:patch

Workaround: build and install Tcl and Tk from source.

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 SEND-PR: -*- send-pr -*-
 SEND-PR: Lines starting with `SEND-PR' will be removed automatically, as
 SEND-PR: will all comments (text enclosed in `<' and `>').
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Please consult the following URL if you are not sure how to
 SEND-PR: fill out a problem report:
 SEND-PR: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/problem-reports/article.html
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Note that the Synopsis field is mandatory.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Please note that (unless you state otherwise) if your report
 SEND-PR: includes a patch then it will be taken under the same license as
 SEND-PR: the one on the file(s) you want to change.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: BE ADVISED THAT FREEBSD PROBLEM REPORTS ARE PUBLIC INFORMATION AND
 SEND-PR: WILL BE PUBLISHED AS-IS ON THE PROJECT'S MAILING LISTS AND WEB SITES.
 SEND-PR: DO NOT SUBMIT ANY INFORMATION YOU DO NOT WANT MADE PUBLIC.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: For sensitive security issues, consider contacting the FreeBSD
 SEND-PR: security officer team (security-officer@freebsd.org) directly.
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: Choose from the following categories:
 SEND-PR:
 SEND-PR: advocacy  alpha     bin       conf      docs      gnu
 SEND-PR: i386      ia64      java      kern      misc      ports
 SEND-PR: powerpc   sparc64   standards www
 SEND-PR: