Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2011 10:26:09 -0700
From:      Dan Allen <danallen46@airwired.net>
To:        List FreeBSD-STABLE Mailing <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ACPI broke going from 8 to 9

(** Originally posted to freebsd-current@freebsd.org but I noticed that =
there are 9.0 RC3 questions here on freebsd-stable; I am not sure which =
forum is appropriate. **)

I just upgraded my Dell OptiPlex GX270 from RELENG_8 to RELENG_9.  The =
machine no longer boots.  However, if I put

 hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D1

in /boot/loader.conf then the machine runs fine.  With RELENG_8 the =
machine had no loader.conf, and the power button worked on my desktop =
machine.  Now with ACPI disabled my power button does not work.  I have =
found that the machine hangs at boot during a scan of the PCI bus, but =
if I disable that (hw.acpi.disable=3Dpci) then the machine cannot find a =
boot drive.

So I have lost functionality that worked fine in BSD 8.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan Allen