Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:23:08 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        ahze@hci.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A couple quick questions..

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 01:18:35 GMT, AHZE wrote:

> I currently run redhat linux , and I have ALOT of software in rpm
> format , from .src.rpm , that i have compiled my self. I was wondering
> if I could install this on freebsd ..

There are two issues at play here.

The first is the issue of package management in FreeBSD.  There is an
rpm package manager available for FreeBSD, either in the Ports
collection or as a package install.  So you _will_ be able to use srpms
and rpms to install software on FreeBSD, although some of your srpms
might need to be tweaked for FreeBSD-specific build issues (library and
header locations etc).

The more serious issue, though, is that of binary compatibility.  Many
applications compiled for Linux can be run on FreeBSD using FreeBSD's
linuxulator.  However, there's no guarantee that any given application
will work.  Unfortunately, you'll just have to try them out and see.

The good news is that FreeBSD's linuxulator is under active development.
This means that, should you run into problem, there's at least one
person who will take an interest in your compatibility problems.

Ciao,
Sheldon.