Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2019 22:50:01 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        "bsd-lists@bsdforge.com" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
Cc:        Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT October images do not create a bootable install

> On 7. Nov 2019, at 21:07, Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 20:09:12 +0200 Toomas Soome tsoome@me.com =
<mailto:tsoome@me.com> said
>=20
standards-compliant
>> > Interesting. So then RELENG-12 is not "Standards" compliant. While =
13-CURRENT
>> > is?
>> Can not tell if you do not provide actual information, we can not =
really tell
>> too much. However, based on the partition tables below, I can tell a =
bit.
>> Those disks are using GPT, there is EFI partition, which does suggest =
UEFI
>> boot and not BIOS boot. There is no freebsd-boot partition, meaning =
the
>> standard pmbr boot block does not work (if installed) =E2=80=94 pmbr =
does search
>> for freebsd-boot and will load its content and jumps on it. Without =
seeing
>> your sector 0, I can not tell what code is there (if any), and based =
on
>> partitions on that system, it is possible the BIOS boot is not =
installed at
>> all. In a similar way, without seeing EFI partition content, we can =
not tell
>> if UEFI boot is actually installed - EFI partition should have FAT =
file
>> system with specific directory tree.
>> To make things better, the exact description would be helpful, so the =
devs
>> taking care of installer could review the information and make fixes.
>=20
> Right. Sorry. I forgot you had asked for the output of dd(1).
>=20
> I've done so, and will send you the output directly (off list).
>=20

neither of disks had boot code in MBR block, so BIOS boot was definitely =
not going to happen there (the regular pmbr there would not help because =
there is no freebsd-boot partition). Therefore the question is if the =
ESP was set up properly.

My personal suggestion for x86 setups would be to set up both bios and =
efi boot.

rgds,
toomas