Date:      01 Jan 2003 12:21:38 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RC2 informal PR: 90 sec sendmail delay

I've got sendmail configured exactly the same (AFAIK) as my working 4.7
system, with rc.conf having sendmail_enable="NO" (only) just to allow
me to send mail via my ISP using the "smart host" feature.

My PROBLEM: Using either "gnus" or "mail", sent messages sit in
/var/spool/clientmqueue for about 90 before leaving for my ISP.  It
wouldn't be too bad for "mail" as it returns control instantly, but
"gnus" hangs up for the 90 seconds where it used to return control
instantly.

Shouldn't the sendmail which listens on port 25 tell the msp_queue
runner to try to process the mail immediately.  It's clearly not just
waiting for the runner to happen upon it in its normal every-30-min
runs.  There seems to be a 90 seconds (or maybe 88) delay in there.

My DNS is working OK, but I've got dynamic IP here, so no real hostname.

Some HISTORY: I installed 5.0-RC2 from ISO-burned CD (checked with MD5
and against ISO image).  Did a hand-merge of my working 4.7 config.
Built XFree86 port (X was hanging; a different PR) and a few other
ports.  Did cvsup with tag "." (30dec02) and ade world & kernel using
well-tested steps (which fixed X, BTW).  Rebuilding my sendmail .cf
files and restarting the sendmail daemons didn't help.

Anybody got any ideas?  Nobody on -questions did.  Should I be looking
for a sendmail forum?

Thanks.