Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 08:40:11 GMT
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gecko@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/155949: www/firefox: firefox 4, WITH_PGO, better Text against DISPLAY problem

The following reply was made to PR ports/155949; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To: Kalten <kalten@gmx.at>
Cc: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: ports/155949: www/firefox: firefox 4, =?UTF-8?Q?WITH=5FPGO=2C?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?=20better=20Text=20against=20DISPLAY=20problem?=
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:30:15 +0200

 On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:00:24 GMT, Kalten wrote:
 >  I adopted the version of the same problem I happened to find in
 >  accessibility/accercise/Makefile.  One shoule, at least, write some
 >  example like this in ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk at USE_DISPLAY: better:
 >  introduce two functions: one for starting, one for terminating the Xvfb.

 That fix should be done in bsd.port.mk and all ports that have
 USE_DISPLAY and their own workarounds for that need to be cleaned up as
 well.

 >  One could try to read DISPLAY out of MAKE_ENV or CONFIGURE_ENV, but I
 >  lost my patience trying; so I set it in the lines below USE_DISPLAY=yes.
 >
 >  Some questions remain open:
 >  *) What to do, if the build has an error and terminates? post-build will
 >     not be called and the server will continue to run.  If one calls
 >     `make clean', the pid-file is gone and noone can terminate the Xvfb
 >     server.  Restarting one at the same DISPLAY just terminates the new
 >     one, all will compile.  We could place the pid file elsewhere--still
 >     no good solution (leads back to some functions mentioned earlier).
 >     Is there a target being called regardless of failiour in the Makfile
 >     in <portname>/work/*?

 Yes it could happen that Xvfb keeps running. Probably there is a better
 solution for that.

 >  *) What if some other port is being built paralelly and uses the same
 >     mechanism: should there be some kind of `smart pointer' to terminate
 >     the Xvfb, when all currently running port-builds do not need it any
 >     more?  All will use `:1001' as it es written down in
 >     ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk at USE_DISPLAY.  Remember: Only the last one
 >     hast to terminate Xvfb but the others must not do so (at least, I
 >     think so).

 Just start Xvfb with a port and if it fails start it again with a
 different port number?

 >  I hope, that `solved' the problem!

 Thanks, that's good work! I do not have time to work on that so if
 someone wants to finish this up please feel free to do this. This PR is
 not even gecko related anymore.

 --
 Bernhard Froehlich
 http://www.bluelife.at/