Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:11:12 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Starting a service after installation?

On Friday 21 December 2001 13:21, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Ernst de Haan wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > How should services like an application server (i.e. www/orion or
> > www/jakarta-tomcat) be started at boot time?
> >
> > I was thinking we could something like this, for example for www/orion:
> > 1) During installation, install a script in ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d. In this
> > case orion.sh. Make it +x so it can be executed. The www/orion port (and
> > a lot of other ports) already do this.
> > 2) Make the script so that it checks if it should be started by reading
> > /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf. For example, for www/orion, it
> > could check for "start_orion". If this variable is not found, then the
> > service is perhaps not started (or should it) ? If the variable *is*
> > found then the service will only be started if the value matches
> > [Yy][Ee][Ss]
> >
> > I'm also assuming that starting a service right after installation is a
> > Bad Thing^TM. What about a 'make run' ? ;`/
>
> Usually FreeBSD ports use different strategy. The service installs
> startup script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d, in the case when the service

Yes, this is what I described in (1). But I would like to *extend* the
current approach. What if I installed a port like Orion, but I *don't* want
it to be started at system startup? In my suggestion you would add:

   start_orion="NO"

to your /etc/rc.conf file.

> startup script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d, in the case when the service
> is expected to be "on" right after installation this script is named

"is expected to be "on"" ? What if the user installing the script would like
the service to be off by default? Perhaps we should introduce a variable for
this so one can do something like:

   make START_AT_BOOT=NO install

whoch would in turn add something like

   start_<servicename>="NO"