Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2015 00:10:59 +0200
From:      Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img kills every Windows it touch

Hi there,

You might not belive me but it really does. I just flashed the
FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img installation image on a 2GB disk on
key using Rufus 2.5. Rufus is a Windows program that support flashing img
files into USB disk on key in DD mode (like the dd(1) program). Now every
time I connect this disk on key into my old computer with Windows XP it
reboots instantly. First time it rebooted right after Rufus finished the
flashing. If I connect it into my Dell Latitude E7440 laptop with Windows 7
there is a BSOD. There was no such reboot with this disk on key before I
flashed it with the FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img

What is going on here? What did you put into this image file?

P.S. I've checked the MD5 hash of the image file and it's the same to the
official MD5 hash in www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/announce.html As far as
I remember I downloaded the image file from the official German FreeBSD
mirror.