Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:51:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        ef90b7323131bdf05e <lguohan00@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How cwnd is set after a loss in FreeBSD TCP?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, ef90b7323131bdf05e wrote:

> My explanation to this is that the ssthresh is not exactly half of the cwnd after
> detecting the loss. However, the explanation seems contradicts with RFC2581, which
> say ssthresh must be no more than max( FlightSize /2, 2*SMSS). The behavior
> puzzled me for a while. Is it a bug or just the right behavior? Can anyone help to
> explain it?
>
> I have dump file the the figure of this behavior, if anyone want, I will email
> it.

> Lu Guohan

It's certainly possible that there's a bug.  To explain the behavior,
you'll probably have to wander around tcp_output.c a bit.  When doing so,
also take into consideration new reno (rfc 2582, I think.)

If you find something that you believe is a definite problem, please post
back to this list.  I'd love to help, but I'm busy with other matters at
the moment.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack