Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:45:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

> Does it help if you put entries with trailing dots in /etc/hosts ?
>
> 10.0.0.1 my.machine my
> 10.0.0.1 my.machine. my.

No.  First of all, when reversing, it considers only the first line
matching the address.  This is arguably a bug.

Second of all, if the dots are there, then the thing dials out on
boot when it starts inetd and/or sendmail (I didn't localize it).

I'm really at a loss as to what my domain name has to do with
anything; as far as I know, the domain name is only set, and is
only useful for bind calls.  Other than that, a domain name is
meaningless, unless I designate an NIS domain (and I have not).

I find it strange that it's getting the domain name out of resolv.conf,
since the host.conf file specifically says not to reference bind (and
therefore bind configuration data) until the local hosts file has
been consulted.

In theory, I should be able to put in machine names *without* a
domain in my hosts file; the domain name is the "name" of my
netblock for the pruposes of DNS, after all.  After all, by
definit, all machines in my /etc/hosts file that are in my
local netblock are in my domain, and in the DNS case, will get
my domain name on lookup anyway, so I can use the naked names.

Even if it *is* referenceing resolv.conf after I *specifically*
told it to never do that when the hosts file could be used
instead, and it knows the domain name for no good reason other
than to cause me grief, as long as the machine name includes the
domain name somewhere in the file, the lookup should succeed;
I don't even split lines, which is supposed to be legal, but
fails to accumulate all hosts in the address list.

In any case, a name with a trailing "." meand "don't append the
domain name", and it's only a hint to lookup in the name being
looked up, not the database being looked up from.

Yeah, eventually I have to set up a named for my local hosts, and
it will mask this problem.  But the configuration I have is perfectly
valid right now.

The hosts "fully qualified name vs. unqualified name in domain"
order that Nate has asked about should also have no bearing on
anything but the name returned as the cannonical name when a
reverse lookup occurs through /etc/hosts.  Since machines not in
my local domain can't even *do* that lookup, the order should
be irrelvant (and is, in fact, because it made no difference
to the machines behaviour).

The one thing that's been solved so far is that I have the idle
timeout working now; that was mostly stupidity on my part; I
had a cron that did a cvssup.  I do it manually now.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.