Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2018 05:07:22 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unreliable pkg upgrade of pecl / pear packages after flavors

--rLUKqERUQ57Ef9HR

On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 01:59:50PM +0200, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2018 at 10:14:06PM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > UPDATING entry says it should be upgraded automatically but it was not.
> >=20
> > "People using Poudriere 3.2+ and binary packages do not have to do
> > anything."
>=20
> Mmmmm, well, this sentence is partly right, and partly wrong.
>=20
> If you install a PHP app, say wordpress, you do not have anything to do
> because pkg will install the new pecl package and remove the old ones.
>=20
> On the other hand, if you install php/pear/pecl ports manually, you do
> have to rename them.
>=20
> I will update the UPDATING entry.

How would someone performing only binary package updates know to look at
ports/UPDATING, and how would that be done?  Such an installation may
well not have /usr/ports at all.

Mind, there is useful information in ports/UPDATING, some of which
applies at least as well to binary package updates -- e.g., the 20180401
entry re. mail/dovecot and mail/dovecot-pigeonhole, which mentions:

|   Modify your Dovecot conf.d/ files before spinning up 2.3.1. The
|   upgrading instructions are detailed here:
|=20
|         https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.3

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious....

Peace,
david
--=20
An investigator who doesn't make a perp nervous isn't doing his job.

--rLUKqERUQ57Ef9HR

--rLUKqERUQ57Ef9HR--