Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:18:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        Wezz Potter <wezzp@cableinet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install time

Hello BSDaemons!

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Wezz Potter wrote:
> How long should it take to install Freebsd with a 33.6 KBPS modem dialup
> connection by anonymous FTP

Rough Estimate:
  33.6 kBits/sec = about 3.36 k Bytes/second
  Round to 2 kBytes/second
  Equal to 1 MByte / 512 seconds
  Round to 600 seconds / MByte = 10 minutes/MB

According to "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey, back cover:
Requires 60 MB disk space for binary-only version,
        340 MB disk space for development version.

Subtract 16 MB of that for "swapper" partition + some "free space"

You must download about 44 MB for binary only system. (my guess)

 44 MBytes X 10 minutes / MB = 440 minutes
Round to 480 minutes = 8 hours for the 'binary-only' version.

  Note: all this rounding is justified because FTP does not transfer
at 100% available bandwidth because of protocol handshaking.

  You may also want X-Windows and some ports, which is
more code and will take a longer time.

  I have seen long FTP transfers "die out" even on a dedicated line,
and there is also the possibility of your modem dropping the connection
to your ISP. I don't bet optimistically on lengthy FTP transfers
(hours and hours of transfers).

  My thoughts: Buy the CD-ROM. Your time is worth more than $39.95 for
(8) hours. Also by the book "The Complete FreeBSD" which will save
you many many hours of struggle.
  I have 4 or 5 Linux books. The reason I use FreeBSD is because
Lehey's FreeBSD book was better than the many Linux books, so it
helped me to get started in a better fashion.
  Both are available from http://www.cdrom.com and also from some
local bookstores.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat