Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 05:55:36 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

need I quote the essay?  Sheesh...

"The copyright bargain that we have is no longer a good deal for the
public, and it is time to revise it--time for the law to recognize the
public benefit that comes from making and sharing copies."

RMS calls for revision, not elimination.  Authors who have referenced this
work have proposed that the most important "freedom" we are willing to
trade for copyright is not the freedom to share copyrighted works but the
freedom to sell copyrighted works.  That is to say, only the copyright
owner may sell the work (or otherwise profit from it) but anyone may copy
it.  This does not appear to be a fair deal to the copyright owner however
as he sees the number of potential customers decrease with every copy of
his work made for sharing.  It is a rare proponent of copyright law
elimination who claims that the public should have the freedom to sell
other people's work for a profit.  RMS claims to have this opinion but I
think it is a ruse.  He knows that no-one can sell GPL'd software, not
without some other value attached.