Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:29:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      wildcardus freakis <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AGAIN 3.1-RELEASE and boot.flp

Ok...listen very carefully...I have nothing on the HDD, it is blank...
I have two disks...one, kern.flp and two, mfsroot.flp...
I put kern.flp in the drive and booted to a point that says:

>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default:  0:fd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

Now...when I type /boot/loader
I get this error:
Disk Error 0x10 (lba=0x90)
Invalid Format

I made each boot disk like I always have since FreeBSD 2.2.2 came out.
dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/fd0
dd if=mfsroot.flp of=/dev/fd0

I don't know what you are refering to when you say I can type help,
lsdev,ls, or trying to set the devices with set <variable>...each command
brings back the expected "No <whateveryoutypedinhere> i.e.

boot: lsdev
No lsdev

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> 3.1 boot floppies (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) don't prompt you the way the
> old boot disks did.
>
> At the boot, you can type: "help" and get a list of commands.  "lsdev" will
> list the devices (disks).  "ls" will list the contents of the current device
> (disk).  "set currdev=disk0s1a" will set the current drive, then list (use
> ls) the contents of the first slice on the first IDE disk (or SCSI assuming
> there is not a mix of SCSI and IDE, then life become hell).  Try switching
> currdev to different drives or slices until you find it.  If you have to
> switch disks (you shouldn't, you have only one disk, right?) then you will
> need to: "set root_disk_unit = disk#".  After you see the kernel file in the
> device list, you should type:  "boot".
>
> You might also try "set boot_userconfig" first (before you boot) to set up
> your kernel configuration again, as the changes you made during your install
> will be gone.
>
> Judging from the problems you just mentioned, I suspect you did not put root
> as your "a" slice.  Correct?  You really should, as it make life much
> easier.

I am sorry but what are you refering to I haven't had the chance to SET
ANYTHING....

> If none of this works, I suspect that you somehow messed up your
> installation.

Yeah...I suppose so If I had gotten the chance to install
anything..........really.
<sigh>