Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:16:21 -0800
From:      Patrick Fish <pfish@pwhsnet.com>
To:        <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.9 rebooting into single user mode

> I would suggest that something is wrong.  FreeBSD
> generally doesn't boot into single user mode unless it's either
> told to, or has to.  The most likely probable cause is a bad HDD*,
> but there may be other possibilities.
>
> What happens after someone does enter the default shell path?  Does
> another reboot cure the problem?  What console messages (if any,
> but there should be some) appear to be abnormal prior to the boot
> prompt?

Usually, another reboot fixes the problem, yes. However, this last time was=
 due to some /etc/fstab error, don't have the exact error since the folks at=
 the NOC couldn't remember it, I finally got it fixed, not sure how, but the=
 idents wern't in fstab...I added them back and it worked for some reason.

I suspect it might drop into single user mode to fsck...but from my=
 experiences with the boxes I have here, it does that on a normal boot if it=
 needs to, not single user...