Date:      16 Jun 2003 23:38:28 -0400
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freshports.org

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 14:22, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> There is a big thread in the FP forum on this.  Basically, if you click
> on the add, FP will start to work again.  Of course, this sucks.  I've
> told dvl about this.  Hopefully, he'll do something to help out the 80%
> of FreeBSD users that rely on Mozilla or one of the browsers based on
> it.

As an alternative, I would highly recommend using Squid as a
domain-filter web proxy, and simply ban the BurstMedia domain
(burstnet.com). I've got quite an extensive domain filter list compiled
over several years, if anyone wants it.

To activate the external filter list in Squid, simply add this to your
ACL section:

###
acl ad_servers dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/banlist.txt"
http_access deny ad_servers
###

I *very* seldom see third-party ads, and even less often have problems
with the list being too strict. The FP works fine for me in Galeon,
Phoenix, Firebird, Epiphany, and Mozilla.

Hope this helps someone.

--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>