Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:36:38 -0400
From:      "Greg McPherran" <sw2@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C12323.0CD99C60

This is also to you Dave (Leimbach),

I think it would increase sales in the store. I noticed that when =
browsing the alternative OS section, the box and mascot did not have the =
effect on me that perhaps you want it to have. Others must also have the =
same reaction. I praise your team for the great work you do delivering =
an excellent OS package. I was under the impression that FreeBSD also =
encouraged people to purchase the boxed set to help support your team.

1.If you do encourage people to purchase the boxed set then I think my =
idea will significantly increase sales just from a marketing point of =
view.

2. If potential FreeBSD advocates like me don't like it - why wouldn't =
you consider changing it just out of consideration for others?

Dave, thanks for the fun response - certainly the people involved in =
FreeBSD are a great group. Now about that darn little devil :-) ......   =
And as you seem to have suspected, I am a Christian (Roman Catholic). We =
Catholics are a bit more easy going when it comes to the =
well-intentioned use of symbols. But it's still a turn-off :-) What is =
it with you open/free software people - Richard Stallman has halos, a =
church of Emacs, saint Ignucious, a shell called Bourne Again, and you =
have a devil for a mascot. Then you tell me religion should be kept =
separate from a OS? :-) I agree, or at least it should not poke fun or =
mock beliefs. I have had several converstaions with Richard also :-) =
That's all I'm saying - let's get the religious symbolism out of the =
OSes. Alas, I see I am going to have to take either Linux of FreeBSD and =
make my own distro. That is one great thing about free software - you =
can do that. Now, which should I use FreeBSD or Linux? I lean towards =
FreeBSD but Linux seems to have more drivers. For example, I have an HP =
8230e external USB CD-Writer. Are there drivers for this for FreeBSD? Do =
you know of any external USB CD-Writers that will work with FreeBSD?=20

Many Thanks,
Greg

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C12323.0CD99C60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This is also to you Dave =
(Leimbach),</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I think it would increase sales in the =
store. I=20
noticed that when browsing the alternative OS section, the box and =
mascot did=20
not have the effect on me that perhaps you want it to have. Others must =
also=20
have the same reaction. I praise your team for the great work you do =
delivering=20
an excellent OS package. I was under the impression that FreeBSD also =
encouraged=20
people to purchase the boxed set to help support your team.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1.If you do encourage people to =
purchase the boxed=20
set then I think my idea will significantly increase sales just from a =
marketing=20
point of view.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. If potential FreeBSD advocates like =
me don't=20
like it - why wouldn't you consider changing it just out of =
consideration for=20
others?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Dave, thanks for the fun response - certainly the people involved =
in=20
FreeBSD are a great group. Now about that darn little devil :-)=20
......&nbsp;&nbsp; And as you&nbsp;seem to&nbsp;have suspected, I am a =
Christian=20
(Roman Catholic). We Catholics are a bit more easy going when it comes =
to the=20
well-intentioned use of symbols. But it's still a turn-off :-) What is =
it with=20
you open/free software people - Richard Stallman has halos, a church of =
Emacs,=20
saint&nbsp;Ignucious,&nbsp;a shell called Bourne Again, and you have a =
devil for=20
a mascot. Then you tell me religion should be kept separate from a OS? =
:-) I=20
agree, or at least it should not poke fun or mock&nbsp;beliefs. I have =
had=20
several converstaions with Richard also :-) That's all I'm saying - =
let's get=20
the religious symbolism out of the OSes. Alas, I see I am going to have =
to take=20
either Linux of FreeBSD and make my own distro. That is one great thing =
about=20
free software - you can do that. Now, which should I use FreeBSD or =
Linux? I=20
lean towards FreeBSD but Linux seems to have more drivers. For example, =
I have=20
an HP 8230e external USB CD-Writer. Are there drivers for this for =
FreeBSD? Do=20
you know of any external USB CD-Writers that will work with FreeBSD? =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Many Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Greg</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C12323.0CD99C60--