Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2002 01:37:49 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre@albsmeier.net>
To:        Rotaru Razvan <roti_343@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Andrew Brampton <andrew@bramp.freeserve.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting smbfs at boot time

On Tue, 05-Nov-2002 at 11:10:59 -0800, Rotaru Razvan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> well when I said ~/.nsmbrc i meant also /root/.nsmbrc. Still i doesn't
> work for me, but then again my method with the daemon-like startup
> script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d is unusual. /usr/local/etc/nsmb.conf
> doesn't even work work even with a normal mount_smbfs command with -N.

I don't have the machine handy at the moment (I am on holidays) but
IIRC, this is what I do:

1. I have the filesystems in /etc/fstab:

   //user@machine/apps    /smbfs/apps    smbfs   noauto,rw     0 0

2. I have the appropriate entries in /etc/nsmb.conf (NOT in /usr/local)

3. I have a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d which mainly does this

   /sbin/mount -o -N,-R3,-cl /smbfs/apps

It is a bit more complicated here since I have to traverse a firewall
and my script also tests the availability of the servers. It also
scans /etc/fstab to automatically mount every smbfs in there.

However, IMO, the ideal solution would be to teach amd about smbfs
but I don't know enough about amd :-( Maybe one day I will have
time to dig into this...

	-Andre

> Can you tell me how do you mount your shares at boot time? or at least
> can i see your /etc/fstab file ?
>
> Regards,
> Razvan
>
> --- Andrew Brampton <andrew@bramp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm a freeBSD newbie, but I found a solution to your problem, I
> > appear to
> > have a /root/.nsmbrc file with passwords in which are used to mount
> > my
> > shares at boot time. But if you can't use this file then try
> > /usr/local/etc/nsmb.conf which is a default of some kind.
> >
> > Hope this helps :)
> > Andrew

Win98: useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and
       a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
       originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
       company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.