Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:28:55 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libvirt, bhyve, and Jenkins configuration problems

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org>
wrote:

> > Does that mean that I need to configure my VM, so that it comes up with a
> > known IP, so that
> > it can be entered on this configuration page?
>
> Correct.
>
> Though, normally you don't need to perform any special configuration for
> the IP address as long as the networking configuration is correct.
>
> The VM just needs to be configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP.
> Later on it should be persistent in dnsmasq.
>

> An IP address could be obtained either from the dnsmasq leases file or
> from arp cache for example.

But how does the Jenkins libvirt plugin know the IP address for the VM,
unless you enter it in this field in the Jenkins UI?

> > Also, the VM, that is spawned, it must have openjdk installed?  Does that
> > mean that
> > after libvirt starts the VM, Jenkins will try to SSH into the VM and
> start
> > a Jenkins job
> > by invoking java?
>
> Yes, it's true, it starts its agent which does the job.
>
> PS Maybe there are other ways to push Jobs to Jenkins nodes, but I
> didn't look close into that.

The easiest way is to have the openjdk installed in the VM, so that Jenkins
can ssh in and run
jobs.  However, there is also the Publish Over SSH Plugin (
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Publish+Over+SSH+Plugin )
which allows Jenkins to SSH into a remote host and run different commands,
instead of starting
a full Jenkins job, which requires the openjdk to be available.

--
Craig