Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:49:12 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        fpassera@freesurf.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI Modems and FreeBSD ???

> From: fpassera@freesurf.fr
> Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:38:58 GMT
> Sender: owner-freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I see a lot of people looking for drivers of PCI modems. I also have a PCI
> modem and cannot find any driver for FreeBSD. Can someone give a status of
> the support of PCI modems ?

The primary problem is that the vast majority of PCI modems are, in
fact, Winmodems. These modems are really just DSPs and code on the
host system acts as the modem. This code is proprietary as are the
specs on  the DSPs. As a result, FreeBSD support is not currently
possible.

Earlier this year a Lucent employee posted that he would try to make a
driver available similar to the Linux driver (no source, available
from Lucent), but I have not heard anything for a while. I would not
hold my breath.

Until something changes, Winmodems will continue to be unusable by
FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)