Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:09:07 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>, Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booting using NT boot loader

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:18:44 -0500 (EST), Marco Radzinschi
<marco@radzinschi.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Paul Root wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> 	I used to have this working then I reimaged my
>> Windows 2000.
>>
>> 	Anyway, I have Windows 2000 on the C: (first partition)
>> and FreeBSD on the second. VMWare is installed on Win2000. FreeBSD
>> is 4.7-Stable of not that long ago.
>>
>> 	If switch the active partion to be the FreeBSD
>> partition it boots fine. However, I get a failure if I
>> go thru the NT boot loader.
>>
>> 	I copied boot1 from /boot to C:\ and called it bootsect.bsd

[snip]
>> $ cat boot.ini
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=5
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
>> Professional"
>> /fastdetect
>> C:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD"
>> C:\="Microsoft Windows"
>>

>> What am I doing wrong here? I tried copying the file to a peerless
>> drive when just booted in FreeBSD and then moving it over with Explorer,
>> then I copied it in FreeBSD, gzipped it, copied it over, gunziped it in
>> cygwin and used mv in cygwin to rename.
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not currently on the list, don't have time to read. Any help
>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul.

[snip]
> Just use bootpart, and run it under windows.  Tell it which partition is
> your FreeBSD one, and it will create the appropriate bootsector file (and
> entry).
>
> http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Never used bootpart.  Looks interesting.  Do you have a Win9x/ME
installation on this computer?  If not, try removing the C:\="Microsoft
Windows" line from boot.ini.  Couple other questions: (1) Is the Win2K
partition active?  (2) Are Win2K and FreeBSD installed to the same drive?
If not, what's the config?

--
Jud