Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:50:45 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Scott Bolte <Scott.Bolte@med.ge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is DFE-530 NIC identified as rl0 instead of vr0?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 07:30:28AM -0600, Scott Bolte <bolte@gsao.gso.med.ge.com> wrote:

> 	I recently bought a D-link DFE-530TX+ NIC that is misidentified
> 	under FreeBSD 3.4. In HARDWARE.TXT it is claimed that the
> 	DFE-530 should be a vr0 (VIA VT3043/VT86C100A PCI based cards)
> 	but the on-boot probe identifies it as rl0 (RealTek 8129/8139
> 	fast ethernet).
>
> 	The card's docs don't say what chip it uses, and the chip
> 	labels do not clearly identified what they are. Can anyone
> 	speculate if the probe routine is broken, or has D-link
> 	switched hardware? If they have switched chips, is there any
> 	substantial difference between them?
>
> 	P.S. Btw, the card seems pretty CPU hungry at 100baseTX.  Would
> 	     that be true of an Intel Pro/100+ or a 3Com EtherLink
> 	     10/100 too?

Accordingly to the various lists, the 530TX and TX+ are different. My
530TX really use vr driver. The TX+ is an Realtek 8139, the worst
100Mbit NIC in the market now. The other cards you mentioned get far
less CPU power to operate in 100Mbit mode so.. you have the choice :)
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee