Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:37:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what language should i learn next ?

+--- j mckitrick wrote:

| | depends on what you want to do.
| | my personal favourite is perl, but i don't know python anyway.
| | you could try all of them and see which one you like most.
|
| I want to avoid that, if possible.  I'd like to make an informed decision
| from the beginning so I can use my time efficiently.  I guess what I want to
| do is learn the tools that require some skill and that are efficient for
| common jobs on a unix box.  That way, if the door ever opens for a unix
| career, I would have valuable skills that would set me apart.  But I would
| also like my knowledge to be useful now, on my little non-networked laptop.
|
| Frankly, since I am not running on a network anyway, I first need to think
| of some problems that need to be solved, or some tasks that can be
| automated.

If you want to stand apart, learn as many tools as possible.  You
should remember that tools are secondary to the problem at hand - the
more tools you know, the better suited you are.  I've always found that
to be a bonus in interviews to know a bit about a lot of tools.  "I've
used it once or twice, and have some notes.  I have a foundation for
when the situation calls for it."  Of course you should know a lot
about whatever you're interviewing for ;)

You should think "I want to create an inverse-thingamajig" instead of
"I need to write something in Perl".  Create your thingamajig and then
think "Boy this function was a real dog to write in [Language X].  I
wonder if [Language Y] does this better?"

If you're looking to choose, my recommendations are:
1 - Perl - very useful & powerful Jack-of-all-trades language
2 - Tcl - easy & useful, Tk is very gratifying for a novice
3 - Java - easy language & very nice, but not very useable - limited
support, and existing implementations are slow.  I'll probably get shot
for saying this, but if you know C++ (or even C), you can learn Java in
hours.

my $0.02 Canadian :)

--
Steve Tremblett