Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:39:10 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildkernel problem with current

David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com> types:
> > > I am updating to current right now.
> > Are you sure you want to do that?  current isn't meant for production
> > machines, and people who can't fend for themselves may wind up with
> > unusable hardware.
> I think so.  My main purpose in going to current is challenge myself
> with the errors, and learning by solving those - albeit with help from
> the FreeBSD community.
> Is that a good reason?

I'd say no.  It's not one of the officially sanctioned reasons. If all
you really want is errors to challenge you, then going to Windows
would be more productive.

If you want problems to work on, the PR database is full of them - and
working on them doesn't require going to -current. You'll also find
people more willing to help you dig yourself out of any holes you may
find yourself in doing such on -stable.

If you're hoping to get more build breakages to go look at - well,
that will probably happen. But it's not really very productive use of
your time, and the "help" wil generally consist of the appropriate
maintainer submitting a patch, so you probably won't learn much
either.

	<mike