Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:30:24 GMT
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/102474: linux_base-fc-4_8 appears broken, does not allow to run Linux binaries

The following reply was made to PR ports/102474; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To: Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc: Markus Hoenicka <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>,
        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/102474: linux_base-fc-4_8 appears broken, does not allow
	to run Linux binaries
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:23:20 +0200

 Quoting Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> (from Fri, 25 Aug 2006 02:28:36 +0400)=
 :

 > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:48:08 +0200 Markus Hoenicka wrote:
 >> Boris Samorodov writes:
 >
 >>  > Can you give me a link to ktrace.out for
 >>  > "ktrace -i /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig"?
 >
 >> Yes, please have a look at:
 >
 >> http://refdb.sourceforge.net/stuff/ldd/ktrace.out
 >
 > Aha, /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd is a script. Can't say for sure should
 > it work or not but something strange does exist:
 > -----
 >  24546 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
 >  24546 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfe85e,0xbfbfe75c,0xbfbfe768)
 >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd"
 >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/bin/sh"
 >  24546 ktrace   NAMI  "/libexec/ld-elf.so.1"
 >  24546 sh       RET   execve 0
 > -----
 >
 > Alexander, can you comment on this behaviour? Thanks!

 The kernel contains code to detect if a linux program is a script and =20
 contains "#!" at the beginning. If it detects this, it tries to start =20
 the linux version of the interpreter. At least it should do that. If =20
 the above isn't a cut-down version of the ktrace, and if the linux ldd =20
 does contain "#!" as the first two characters of the file (I can't =20
 check ATM), then there's something wrong here.

 Regarding the lib problem in the PR: FreeBSD 6.x and fc4 contain a =20
 libc.so.6. So the order of the ld path (/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf =20
 or how it is spelled) may matter. I don't have a 6.x system to test =20
 this, so someone has to play around with it and report here (don't =20
 forget to rerun the linux ldconfig with the '-R /compat/linux' option =20
 after each change). If this doesn't solve the problem, I need to see =20
 the complete ktrace of a failing program which tries to link with =20
 libc.so.6.

 Bye,
 Alexander.

 --=20
     58: Shareware installieren
            Die System Clock um drei Monate zur=C3=BCckstellen (Peter Berlich=
 )

 http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
 http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137