Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:43:29 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System Backup To CD-R

Hallo everyone!

well, I have not been that kind of guy who regularely backs up his system -
at least until recently, when a catastrphic hardware failure made my isnatll
my system all from scratch again, which took me about a whole weekend. After
this experience, I'm looking for a way to prevent this to happen again. Of
course, this can be done by taking regular backups, but the question that
remains is *how* to do that.

It seems to me that backing up a FreeBSD to tape drive is probably the most
widely done and easiest thing. However, since I don't have the appropriate
hardware to do that, it's not an option for me. The thing best suited for
backups in my computer is probably the ATAPI CD-R drive.

So, has anyone experience with backing up a FreeBSD system to CD-R? I figure
that I could do it all by hand - copy as many files as fit on a CD-R, then
take a new one and repeat until all files have been dealt with. This is,
however, a time-consuming task if done by hand. So I think I need a script or
something that does this more or less automatically, so that I only have to
change the CD-Rs. Does anyone know if such a script exists? Or is anyone
using CD-Rs for backup purposes and has some hints for me how it could best
be done?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany