Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 18:11:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "J. A. Landamore" <jal@mcs.le.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 3.0 to 3.3

On Thu, 06 Jan 2000 16:03:25 GMT, "J. A. Landamore" wrote:

> I want to upgrade my copy of 3.0-RELEASE to 3.3-RELEASE.  If I use
> the kern and mfsroot floppies and then use the upgrade option will it
> automagically select the packages I already have installed and upgrade
> them?

No.  Neither this, nor the alternative course of action which you
suggested will automatically upgrade your existing packages.  By the
waya, do it this way.  _DON'T_ use an existing /stand/sysinstall's
Upgrade option.

You should use the pkg_info(1) command to find out which packages you
have installed and then upgrade them.

However, if I were you, I'd upgrade to 3.4-RELEASE, which is supplied
with a nifty program called pkg_version(1).  This program can be made to
spit out the commands you'd need to run to update your out-of-date
packages.  it's quite cool.

Ciao,
Sheldon.