Date:      14 May 2000 18:15:02 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do I mount Extended DOS, LBA partition

Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:

> Micke Sundberg wrote:
> >
> > How do I mount a Extended DOS, LBA partition in
> > FreeBSD ?
> > This is the info for it:
> > The data for partition 3 is:
> > sysid 15,(Extended DOS, LBA)
> > start 16450560, size 12241530 (5977 Meg), flag 0
> > beg: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255;
> >
> > The normal Dos partition (partition 1) was no problem
> > to mount.
> > Please help me!
>
> If you had read about partitions and slices (I don't remember where
> you need to look) you would have seen extended partition 1 as ad0s5
> and partition 2 as ad0s6 and etc. I just did a mount_msdos /dev/ad0s6
> /mnt and I got my "G" drive mounted as "/mnt".

I noticed this too...  When you need to mount something, is not the
time to stop and read a book, that information, at least the device
names needed should be available instanly somewhere.  Coming from a
linux background I was really suprised at the lame output of FreeBSD
fdisk.

I'd grown used to the tidy informative output of linux fdisk, an
instant source of the device names required to mount any thing.

Finally I realized I could start /stand/sysinstall/  open the slice
editor and find the names used for the various partitions, at least
some of them, these names are conspicuously lacking in fdisk output.

Brings up a question if there is a different fdisk or some other util
that display device names in use.