Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:16:10 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can I get ncplib ?

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Boris Popov wrote:
>
> Boris, why don't you look at http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/porting.html

	Thanks, I'm already look at this nice document, otherwise how do I
wrote and maintain a Mars_nwe port :)

> and make a port for ncplib so we can provide it as a FreeBSD package.

	The only problem for writing a port for ncplib is that it requires
/usr/src/sys directory for build. This can be avoided by including
pregenerated versions of vnode_if.* files. They are depended from FreeBSD
version and can be changed in future. So there is no easy way to build
these files. If the templates /sys/kern/vnode_if.* will be copied to
/usr/share/somewhere it will be very simple to write a port. Another
problem is lack of ability to build a package, because kernel module
should be builded in native environment.

	However if the port will check /usr/src/sys directory and complain
if it's not found it will be possible to create package-less port.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/