Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:16:10 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Nicholas Albert Fikouras <m7naf@dcs.shef.ac.uk>, "freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Configuring Ports

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 at 18:04 SAT, Nicholas Albert Fikouras wrote:

> I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if freebsd offers some
> service that configures newly installed ports automatically. Take for
> example the apache www server. I have just installed it as a port. How
> can I get to configure it and get to run like other systen daemons.

Depends on what you mean by "run like other system daemons".  If you mean
that it must be started automatically at system startup, well, then
installing the Apache port will create a shell script
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh, which will do just that.

If you mean actually configure it for you...  Hmmmmm...  FreeBSD is good, but
not prescient.  ;-)  It still doesn't know _how_ you want your Web server
configured.  However, under most circumstances, tweaking just one or two
lines in httpd.conf should get you a "default" Apache up and running.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559