Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 03:16:29 -0800
From:      Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com>
To:        Oliver Iberien <oliver.iberien@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting privoxy at startup

Oliver Iberien wrote:

> I can start privoxy manually with
> /usr/local/sbin/privoxy /usr/local/etc/privoxy/config
>
> I added this to /etc/rc.conf:
> privoxy_enable="YES"
> privoxy_flags="/usr/local/etc/privoxy/config"
>
> but that does not seem to do it. I tried putting a link in /etc/rc.d/ to the
> privoxy.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but that didn't do it, either. How do I
> get it to start?

When I installed privoxy from ports a shell script was placed in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, which does the job.  Mine is mode 555.  I'll e-mail
you a copy if you want. I wouldn't link from /etc/rc.d -- bad mojo.

I put the following two variables in /etc/rc.conf, and privoxy finds
it's configuration files in the directory /usr/local/etc/privoxy/
without any help. There is more than one configuration file, and they
are substantially self documenting.

   privoxy_enable="YES"
   privoxy_flags="-- user privoxy"