Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:34:03 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>, "Steve Curry" <scurry505@yahoo.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Software vs Hardware Router (was: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router)

In our network I manage 3 major routers and a host of minor
ones.  The major routers are 2 Cisco 7206's and 1 FreeBSD
4.0 system running on a Celeron 350.  We take a total of
4 feeds that pass us full BGP4 tables and 2 of the major
routers are in the BGP4 mesh, (with iBGP running between them)

One of those BGP systems is the FreeBSD router running gated,
the other is one of the Cisco 7206s.  (the other 7206 is running
DS3 egresses to DSL providers)  The minor routers in the system
consist of various Cisco flavors, from 1005's to 3600's

We've been doing this for about a year now so I think I can
speak somewhat authoratatively on it.

For starters, if you attempt to mix DSL and anything in the
2600 line your going to fall flat on your face.  Cisco IOS
has hard-coded limits for ATM vc's in 2600 series IOS of
about 100.  You need at least a 7200 series for DSL and a
DS3 card which will go up to 1000 vc's (2K if IOS 12.1 is
used I think)

Secondly, a full BGP table requires at least 128MB of ram in a
Cisco.  I think you can stuff 128mb in a 3640, but I think
that's as low as you can go in the Cisco line and still take a
full BGP table.  And, the 3640 really isn't designed for this
sort of nonsense anyway.

So, that leaves a PC-on-a-router solution.  Well, the first question
is how are you interconnecting?  In our case, the FreeBSD box has
3 10/100 Ethernet connections and a SDL communications serial interface.
It works fine now, but there's a bit of tuning that you have to do,
like raising MAXUSERS.  A lot.  I use 96.  You also have to understand
that gated has no concept of graceful error control and it's very memory
hungry, and uses all kinds of odd tables in the OS that are normally
smaller.
If it runs out of kernel route table space it will trash the
system and you have to reboot.  Second, gated itself isn't exactly
bug free, in fact we don't use the current version because of
that.  Also, according to the license, (the way I read it) you have
to pay Merit if you use the current version of gated in a commercial
setting.  In short, unless your willing to spend time learning
and really understanding BGP, then don't attempt to run it with a
full route table using gated on a UNIX system.  It's not an out-of-box
configuration by any means.

Now, if your not running BGP then setting up a FreeBSD router using
Ethernet interfaces or T1 cards is pretty easy to do and anyone who
is reasonably competent can do it.  Keep in mind, of course, that PCI
wan cards like the SDL comm cards cost around $700 so your not going
to be saving a tremendous amount of money over a used Cisco.  In fact,
Ebay is full of used Cisco 2600 gear at very attractive prices.
What you gain is a large amount of functionality.  For example, Cisco
Firewall IOS for a 1600 series costs about $700 for the license alone,
and with FreeBSD, ipfw with stateful inspection gives you the same thing
as FW IOS.