Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:20:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bug in stateful code?

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Rogier R. Mulhuijzen wrote:

> I have personally looked at natd & stateful ipfw rules, and have
> concluded that it logically impossible to get it to work.
>
> Thus I made a ipfw rulelist that utilizes the statefulness of
> natd. I hope this helps you in making your own rulelist.

If you have the luxury of having more than one IP address available
for the outside interface, you can dedicate one address to natd's use,
and the other to the host machine.  Use -deny_incoming on natd, and
use whatever rules you want, including stateful, on the non-NAT
address.  This is what I've done and it works fine.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet