Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 03:49:56 +0000
From:      John <jwd@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfsstats for new nfsserver

Hi Folks,

   I've been looking into different performance aspects of running
the new nfsserver servering out zfs filesystems with 9.

   I've run into a nfsstat question I thought I would ask about.
>From nfsstat on a system that's been up for a few hours:

# nfsstat
Client Info:

 ... deleted ... all 0.

Server Info:
  Getattr   Setattr    Lookup  Readlink      Read     Write    Create    Remove
1014376791     95502 1815135267     10181   8613463   6005951         0         0
   Rename      Link   Symlink     Mkdir     Rmdir   Readdir  RdirPlus    Access
      240         0         0         0         0     47964         0    547155
    Mknod    Fsstat    Fsinfo  PathConf    Commit
        0    595932        45         0     74154
Server Ret-Failed
                0
Server Faults
            0
Server Cache Stats:
   Inprog      Idem  Non-idem    Misses
     6308         0      3852 -1448802368
Server Write Gathering:
 WriteOps  WriteRPC   Opsaved
  6005951   6005951         0

   The 'Misses' value is very large. When looking at the source, if I'm
following the code correctly (and I might not be),  would it make sense
to try increasing the size of the cache, or simply disabling it? Can do
either - looking for opinions.

   The Opsaved value being 0, would it make sense to simply disable
gathering also?

   Last, just more of a comment, would it make sense to go ahead and treat
these values as unsigned?  They'll still wrap, but they would stay positive.

Thanks,
John