Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:40:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, vic@yeaguy.com
Subject:   Re: pls help..

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Tue Dec 14 05:45:55 2010
> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:54:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Justin V." <vic@yeaguy.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: pls help..
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having a very difficult time understanding what is going on with this
> FreeBSD machine..
>
> I was having inet trouble so i put in a new router on my network (home
> network)..
>
> I have a FreeBSD machine on my network:
>
> FreeBSD yeaguy.com 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #3: Thu Nov  4 20:43:41
> PDT 2010     vic@yeaguy.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HBCA  i386
>

> I have windows machines on my network..
>

> One of my windows machines is my laptop and I connect directly to the
> router via WIFI without any trouble at all...  I can browse any website
> without complaint.
>
> My FreeBSD system connects to my WIFI router just fine as well..  I am
> seeing troubles browsing the inet with my FreeBSD machine (Xorg and
> opera) Pulling up Google.com can take up to 30s..

Without reading any further, this simply =reeks= of being a DNS problem.
(99.999998792+% of all "30+ seconds to something over the net" problems
are timeout issue. :)

I suspect:
   a) the new router is not using the same 'local network' adddress as the
      old one was,  This is not a total show stopper, because everyting
      'local' is using DHCP to get both the local machine address _and_
      the router address.
   b) you have a DNS server address hard-coded in the /etc/resolv.conf file.
      (the old router and new router are providing DNS proxy services on
       *different* addresses, and wyat you have hard-coded is the -old-
       address)
   c) your FBSD machine is trying to query the hard-coded DNS server
      address _first_, and when it gets no response, it *eventually*
      (ie. after 30 seconds) tries the 'second' DNS server address it has,
      which is the one learned by DHCP -- that works, the name resolves,
      and the page loads.

On a WORKING windows box click "Start->Run", and type 'ipconfig/all' in the
box, to see what it is using for a DNS server.

Check '/etc/resolv.conf' on your FreeBSD box, and see if it lists a
*different* address on a 'namemserver' line.