Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 95 11:45:47 -0700
From:      tony@thing.sunquest.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   client & server ppp

Question regarding client and server ppp on the same system (using pppd).

For a while I had client pppd working just fine.

This weekend, I set up a Livingston portmaster to do 'on-demand' ppp to
a remote FreeBSD system (V34 modem)
	- The Livingston advertises a RIP route for the remote machine
	- Whenever it receives an IP packet, dials the remote FreeBSD machine.
	- The portmaster runs a send/expect sequence to logs into the FreeBSD
	  system on getty/ttyd1. The shell for the account is a script which
	  fires up PPPd.

Everything is working quite well, after 15 mins of IP inactivity the Livingston
will reset the port, dropping CD and thus DSR drops causing pppd on FreeBSD
to terminate and the getty respawns.

The problem is that several other folks use the remote system and when server
PPP isn't running they still want to be able to initiate client side PPP.

Problems here:
1) AT echo/reply is disabled (E0Q1) since getty/autoanswer is enabled.
   This makes it hard to reliably dial out, and really needs to be toggled back.

2) Kermit seems happy to dial the port even when getty is still connected, but
   pppd detects that getty (or the login it spawns due to line activity) has
   the device open and thus pppd fails.

Clearly in the client.ppp.start and client.ppp.stop scripts I can:
	"Off" getty in ttys, HUP init
	"E1Q0" to the modem

	start client ppp session
	end-ppp session

	"On" getty in ttys, HUP init
	"E0Q1" to the modem"

Is anyone aware of alternatives avoiding some or all of the above ?

I have not been able to get 100% reliable dial/hup scripts for client PPP
and am worried that someone using client PPP _could_ leave the system in
a state where the Livingston will be unable to connect for server PPP.

thanks

tony