Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:44:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Mac

On 21 Aug 2002, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 23:45, David Kelly wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 August 2002 04:17 pm, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
[SNIP]

> > And Apple would have a state of the art x86 platform.
> >
> > --
> > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
>
> A stste of the art i386 platform would be the death knell of apple.
> They are a hardware company.  If suddenly all they had to sell was OSX
> and the other 3 apps they make that no one uses where does that leave
> them?

	I think Apple would be suprised how much of the OS market they
	could grab by releasing OSX for i386 arch.  Maybe their hardware
	would suffer but they could focus more on developing a better
	OS and additional products.  Besides, they wouldn't loose too
	much in the hardware side.  Most of those people don't want i386
	machines.  So Apple has to shift their business plan around...it's
	not that unusual.

	i386 arch will always sell more than any other platform (by
	a large factor), coupled with the fact that everyone hates
	Microsoft.  Why not increase the potential market size for your
	product?

	I believe only reason the i386 hardware market is so large is
	because of MS Windows.  IMHO, software sales should drive the
	hardware sales, not the  other way around.

	These comments are just my opinion.  They're not backed up by any
	formal marketing education, which may be obvious :-)

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:
   Firings will continue until morale improves.