Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:52:35 -0700
From:      Janet Sullivan <eliyanah@techie.com>
To:        Marco Masotti <masotti@mclink.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf/ipnatd vs ipfw/natd ?

> As far as I've been concerned with ipf/ipnat and FreeBSD, when >occasionally  doing a nat gateway to an internal private network in a >small organization, I've got the lesson not to use the ipnat feature >when utilizing  user PPP.
>
> Similarly to what recommended in the natd man page, also using >ipf/ipnat with PPP is not well suited - Use nat enable feature built-in >the user PPP implementation instead. Omitting to follow this indication >will put you in a a riot of strange behaviours, like being forced to >issue ipf -y to resync (and *by hand*, not from any script I've been >able to make) kernel filters after PPP goes up.

Er, I've used ipnat/ipf with userland ppp on FreeBSD and I've never had
to do an ipf -y.  I'm using OpenBSD these days for firewalling purposes,
but I seem to remember the trick to running ppp with ipf/ipnat on
FreeBSD was to simply have your startup scripts start 'ppp -auto -quiet
WHATEVER' _before_ ipf/ipnat were started, and just using tun0 like a
normal interface in your ipf/ipnat rules.  By default I think FreeBSD
used to (might still?) start ppp after ipf/ipnat, which didn't work so
well - but just fire up your favorite text editor and you can fix that.