Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:51:52 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <Shane@007Marketing.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server

On 21/8/05 11:10 PM, "Uzi Klein" <uzi@bmby.com> wrote:

> jmc wrote:
>> For the best database-write performance on the DL380G4, make sure you
>> have the Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) option.
>
> Never heard of it. I'd take it as a hardware setup in BIOS?
> (The server is in co-location, i have no physical access to it but i can
> explain ISP sys-admin what to do if needed)

This is an option on some raid cards - basically the battery protects the
ram cache located on the card so it can complete the writes to disk when
power goes out. I know top end 3ware cards have this option amongst others.

> Are you suggesting AMD based boxes outperforms Intel based machines?
> That's what I'm really interested in...

I don't have first hand knowledge but the rumour is the 64 bit cpu's will
give better DB performance as the DB size grows.