Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:24:52 -0500
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help With Selection of Database Application

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:48:21 -0400
Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've had extensive experience with MS Access as a user
> and would like to port a comparable system into my FreeBSD
> box. Can anyone recommend a database application similar to
> Access?  I've looked through the ports but can't seem
> to readily make that distinction without the expertise
> of a DBA.
>
> If this is not the type of question supported by this
> mailing list, please disregard.
>
> Bob Perry

I also use MS Access extensively at work.  MS Access has many facets; so
the answer to you're question depends upon how you use MS Access:

1.  If you've been using MS Access as a database server, I think you'll
be much happier with the likes of PostgreSQL, MySQL or Firebird.  All 3
are available in the ports.

2.  If you're looking for a database application with GUI RAD
capabilities similar to MS Access, there are some applications
available; but most focus on database administration (simple queries)
rather than end-user application development.  You might take a look at
PgAdmin III, which is crossplatform, but requires PostgreSQL as the
back-end server.  You can find it in the ports
(/usr/ports/databases/pgadmin3) or at:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php

There is also a KDE project called "Kexi", which looks promising; but I
don't think it's soup yet:  http://www.kexi-project.org

3.  If you're looking for a GUI that facilitates joining/analyzing
tables from different servers (PostgreSQL and MySQL tables, for
example), I think you're out of luck.

I run a PostgreSQL server on FreeBSD at work.  It supplements the
Decision Support System and handles the back-end for a few MS Access
applications.  The combo works very well as long as your binary fields
(boolean, etc) are defined as "not null" with default values.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould