Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 08:11:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        <cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: State of the Cluster

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> Gratuitous Buzzwords:
> PVM
> MPI

why? what's your application? If it's web farm this stuff is useless.
> DIPC
> Mosix
ditto.

> What about distributed procps (ala Beowulf)? I saw a thread about that in
> January but it seems to have died out.

we have a way to do that the same way plan9 does, with private name
spaces. But we haven't finished the port. There is a start at
www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich, look for the file system for freebsd.

So far nobody's had the time to finish it.

We're using the bproc stuff here, it is really nice. You could try to port
that too. But we also know it won't scale past 256, so we're looking at
what comes after that.

ron